A Look at Computex 2018
Computex 2018, the largest computing show of the year, has now kicked off.
Computex 2018, which was held in Taipei, is the annual gathering place for the wider PC industry to show off its latest and best innovations. It is also the ideal place to exchange and discuss ideas about the future of personal computing and is often used as a launch platform for daring new concept designs and high specification gadgets.
One of the most noteworthy innovations presented at Computex 2018 is a dual-screen AI-powered laptop, which is called the ASUS Project Precog. If the Precog name sounds vaguely familiar to you, it’s because Precog was the name given to gifted and other-worldly beings that are capable of seeing the future in Tom Cruise’s film, Minority Report.
What is Project Precog?
Project Precog, a concept developed by ASUS, is a laptop formed of two shimmering sheets of glass. ASUS intends this laptop to be powered by AI. Now, what exactly does that mean? It means that Project Precog has two screens that can predict how you’ll want to use your laptop. It can actually detect if there’s a mouse or keyboard around as well. Project Precog can even provide virtual mice and keyboards if there aren’t any real ones around!
Asus’s Project Precog can also anticipate where your fingers are over the laptop and shift its V around accordingly. On top of all this, Project Precog will even have face and voice recognition.
There are a lot of great features on this laptop. For example, Project Precog is optimized to function in a normal laptop mode, tent mode, and flat mode. And for all of the creative folks out there, it will also be compatible with a stylus. The Precog can also learn to predict when your meetings are and will be able to conserve battery effectively so as to ensure that you don’t run out of battery, which is a great feature for businessmen.
To make it simpler, this laptop is extremely smart although it is still a prototype. It’s meant to unite AI design and technology in an incredibly substantial way.
Project Precog as a Finished Product
As I’ve already mentioned, Project Precog is merely just a prototype. So, what will be its complete features as a finished product? Here’s a quick summary of what ASUS says will be in its final build:
- Project Precog will have a dual-screen and AI setup.
- It will be able to detect whether a keyboard or mouse is near and will instinctively give you virtual, on-screen ones if necessary.
- When you are using the virtual keyboard, it can identify where your hands are placed above the frame and can accordingly shift the keyboard.
- It can learn to recognize what part of the day your meetings or appointments are and will be able to conserve battery accordingly.
- The AI will be compatible with Microsoft Office applications. One example cited was that Excel would suggest the best approach on how you would be able to present your data as you type or put it into a spreadsheet.
- Project Precog can work in book, laptop, flat, and tent modes. It can also be used with a stylus. In addition, it will have face and object recognition.
Of course, we still don’t have an idea on how expensive this laptop will be and also when exactly it will it be launched, but it’s an exciting concept and I am on the edge of my seat to get my hands on this one.